Breast implant reconstruction surgery
When a breast is reconstructed using just an implant, a silicone implant is inserted under the skin and muscle of the chest to replace the breast volume that was removed at the time of mastectomy. The main disadvantage of breast implant reconstruction surgery is that it is impossible to create a breast with a natural shape and feel.
Latissimus Dorsi flap reconstruction
Breast reconstruction surgery using back muscle is where the Latissimus Dorsi muscle is transferred to the breast area by carefully moving it around the ribcage to the front of the body. Using this breast reconstruction procedure, any skin removed at the time of the mastectomy is replaced along with extra volume. Some patients will also need a breast implant to further augment the volume, similar to a breast augmentation procedure.
Advantages of Latissimus Dorsi Flap reconstruction:
- Can use your own tissue for small or medium breasts
- Reliable success rate due to good blood supply
- Breast reconstruction surgery using back muscle achieves a more natural appearance than using an implant alone
Disadvantages of Latissimus Dorsi Flap reconstruction:
- Frequent formation of seroma (collection of fluid) at donor site in back.
- Often needs implant or expander to increase breast volume
- Scar on back will be visible in low cut dresses and swim suits.
- Needs to be sufficient spare skin on back
- Breast reconstruction surgery using back muscle is not suitable for serious athletes especially climbers or swimmers due to the loss of muscle strength in the shoulder.
Breast reconstruction surgery diep flap
The skin and fat of the lower abdomen are often the ideal tissue for breast reconstruction, making an abdominal flap reconstruction (or Autologous reconstruction) a popular option. A large amount of skin and volume can be replaced in order to achieve a very natural look and feel. An added bonus if that the removal of excess skin and fat from the abdomen results in a Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) for the patient.
Diep flap breast reconstruction surgery is considered to be one of the best breast reconstruction options. It produces the best shape of breast while attempting to preserve the tummy muscles. In addition, many patients are pleased to have had a tummy tuck at the same time. These benefits, however have to be balanced by the fact that if the microsurgery to the blood vessels fails, the flap can lose its blood supply and the whole flap can be lost. This will occur in about 3-5% of patients.
All breast reconstruction is a process and many patients will need further procedures to adjust their reconstruction. These are usually minor procedures such as liposuction to reduce the size of the flap, scar revisions, lipofilling or nipple reconstruction. That said, autologous reconstruction is durable and once a satisfactory result is achieved it tends to be static and permanent.